Concept Art Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Concept Art Forum for professionals and beginning artists.

+2
sluggydragon
Rob
6 posters

Introduce Yourself!

Rob
    Rob
    Admin

Introduce Yourself! Empty Introduce Yourself!

Post by Rob Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:58 am

Hi, I'm Rob a long time concept artists, matte painter and environment designer. I went to ACCD, and got my first full time start on Abe's OddWorld. It has been a roller coaster of movies and games since 1996. It's my goal to help young hard working concept artists share in opportunities and knowledge that might otherwise not have the chance. I started this forum, yt channel, and discord to help that happen. Over the years, we have been able to nudge a few artists towards pro careers, and I could not be more proud of them.

Welcome to the board, I truly hope you are the next pro to come from our community.

Cheers,
    R
    sluggydragon
    Professional

Introduce Yourself! Empty Re: Introduce Yourself!

Post by sluggydragon Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:09 am

HI there!! First I want to say, thank you very much for making this space for aspiring artists! Very Happy I'm not very active in the discord server, but I love to lurk and see what everyone is up to. The quality of the work is fairly intimidating, but the exposure is also inspiring for me to keep improving.

My name is Sam - I went to school for game design and worked with a small indie company as an artist until I started my family and had to leave that job to stay home and raise my kids. I've started working from home again at the start of this year and am trying to grow my portfolio.

I thought I was pretty good at concept art, but once I started really working at it, I quickly discovered how much I had to learn, so that was... really humbling. I'm not anywhere near pro, but now I've got somewhere to aim. At home, I put in part time hours on my fundamentals as I work towards becoming a freelancer. I'm hoping to find jobs that I can work remotely so I can stay with my kids. I know this may be a limiting factor on my career, but their well-being is the first most important thing in my life, haha.

Anyway, thanks again! I loved the Oddworld series as well, so it's wildly exciting to learn that. Have a great day!
    Benenor90
    Benenor90
    Professional

Post by Benenor90 Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:17 pm

Howdy everyone! I want to thank everyone in this community for encouraging me and teaching me so much. And thank you especially to Rob, I've been following your career ever since high school and you've been a huge inspiration to me. It's awesome to be apart of a community built by professions and geared towards development and learning. Thank you!!

I am an intermediate illustrator and Concept Artist, hoping to break into the industry in the next couple of years. I did not go to art school, mainly due to lack of finances, but I've been self-teaching ever since high school(about 5 years). I just recently started a family, and my new daughter is my whole world, but I'm still trying to find the time to focus on my development and career. I work full-time right now as a retail manager, so my hours are hectic and it's hard to find the time to focus on my art.

When I was in high school I started a company with a bunch of my friends, we became legitimate and licensed ourselves as an LLC. It was a huge learning experience, and though I was young and our company eventually fizzled out, I grew the most during that time than any other time in my life, and it helped me realize that working towards this career was going to be my life goal.

Currently, I am working on writing a novel, which I am doing designs and illustrations for. This started as a project to give me a universe full of art to inspire me, and turned into a story that I'm excited to share with everyone.

@sluggydragon, it's very encouraging to see someone else who has a family, but is still trying to find time for this career! Keep going, brother!
    sluggydragon
    Professional

Post by sluggydragon Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:24 pm

@Benenor90 Congrats on your new baby girl! Thank you, I'm also really happy to learn that someone else is working towards this while also raising a family, it's very encouraging to my own situation. It feels like an uphill battle to get established after the fact, haha. Best of luck to you with your novel! Building a world to write and draw in is my favorite hobby after art. Very Happy
    Miquel950
    Professional

First!M

Post by Miquel950 Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:37 pm

Hello, I'm Miquel an aspiring concept designer. I've been studying for a year and a half using various  online sources -Schoolism, Learn Squared,...-. I'm currently working full time on studying so I'm improving at a decent rate even though I feel I'm lacking the social aspect of it -critics-. I'm currently aiming at environment design because I think focusing on a single thing at a time brings better results.

I hope to grow along with all of you!
    lemongaia
    Professional

First!??

Post by lemongaia Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:52 am

Hi! I'm Archie, i'm 16 and I aspire to work as a professional concept artist. I've been drawing and studying daily for the past 3 years, but have felt as if my progress has stopped over the last year or so, so I've decided to try and put myself out there a little more and try and learn all I can. I'm of nowhere near professional standard currently, but I hope I can reach that point at some point in the future.

I can't wait to start engaging with this community!
    Sneakthief Coalfire
    Sneakthief Coalfire
    Professional

Post by Sneakthief Coalfire Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:14 am

Hello my name is Sneak. Clearly not my real name but a user name, as i am shy on sharing personal information online. I am trying hard to become a better artist, and often feeling down on my own self. But my self-esteem issues is for another place.
    I enjoy drawing bodybuilders and muscular anthros, yet working on expanding my horizons. I am a second-year on a fine art course at University (or collage depending where your from), and feel like i should of taken Illustration, but i enjoy both topics the same.
    Feel free to pop in and say hello! I am always happy to introduce myself to a friendly face and of course constructive feedback towards my own work! I am more visually inclined, so i find red lines work better for my learning, but i know most people don't have the time to do those all the time.

Thanks for reading and im looking forward to getting to know you all better!

Sent from Topic'it App

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:28 am